During the first half of the Second World War, the Messerschmitt Bf109 E was the main fighter of the German airforce. The E-4 housed a 1,100hp Daimler Benz DB 601Aa engine and was armed with two 7.92mm machine guns on the nose, as well as a 20mm cannon on each wing. For some aircraft, bullet-proof glass was used to reinforce the front of the canopy. In addition, a 20mm canon, which ran through a tube in the propeller was supposed to be installed but was unsuccessful. Displaying superb acceleration and diving ability, the E-type planes overpowered the RAF's Hawker hurricane and equaled the Spitfire fighters in the Battle of Britain. However, with a flight range of only 560km, the E-4 planes were limited to just fifteen minutes of combat over British skies. Thus, the bombers were not given sufficient support and sustained heavy damage. As a result, the Luftwaffe's strategy to bomb England into surrender ended in failure. To deal with this drawback, the E-4 planes were equipped with additional 300L fuel tank. These improved fighters, called E-7, were first deployed at the end of 1940. After the Battle of Britain, the E-4/7 planes were sent to the front lines of Northern Africa. As the Bf109 F-type fighter's production was advanced, the E-4/7 was retired from the front lines. However, some veteran pilots continued to use the E-4/7 mainly for ground support duty until the summer of 1942.
IF ITEM IS OUT OF STOCK ONLINE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE STORE, AND LET US SPECIAL ORDER IT FOR YOU!
KING'S HOBBY SHOP SHIPS DOMESTICALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY WITH USPS PRIORITY MAIL.