The Ilyushin Il-2 was one of the most significant ground-attack aircraft of WWII. It incorporated a sturdy monocoque construction and excellent armor protection to make it perfect for ground attack operations. It was initially conceived as a two-seat design but due to weight issues it was re-designed as a lighter single-seat aircraft in 1940. As production began in 1941, the aircraft was designated as the Il-2. Heavy losses of the single-seat aircraft during combat forced the addition of a rear gunner position in 1943. Later variants featured improvements such as swept outer wings for better handling. The Il-2 contributed greatly to the eventual Russian victory over Nazi Germany. Joseph Stalin himself famously noted that the aircraft was as vital to the Russian Army as air and bread.
Specs & Features
* 1/48 scale plastic assembly kit.
* Model depicts a late variant of the Ilyushin IL-2 Shturmovik (two-seat cockpit and swept outer wings)
* 3 kinds of canopies included and each may be depicted in either open or closed position.
* Highly-detailed cockpit accurately depicts the fuel tank positioned between pilot and gunner.
* Radiator and oil cooler reproduced accurately.
* Includes 2 kinds of covers for 23mm cannons.
* Parts for 100kg and 250kg bombs included.
* 3 kinds of rocket launcher parts included,
* Comes with 3 decal marking options.
IF ITEM IS OUT OF STOCK ONLINE, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE STORE, AND LET US SPECIAL ORDER IT FOR YOU!
KING'S HOBBY SHOP SHIPS DOMESTICALLY AND INTERNATIONALLY WITH USPS PRIORITY MAIL.